Outfit Expedition (ages 10-12)
Discover the wilderness, culture, and science of the Southwest with our youngest (though, arguably, most fun) summer trek at the Gulch
One of of The Gulch’s most popular offerings, the Outfit Expedition provides an experiential introduction to wilderness travel, native arts, local archaeology, earth sciences, and adventure! Trekkers will live in a rural southwest setting in our historic open-air cabins on our Base Camp nestled up to the Cibola National Forest. Our Base Camp is a 540-acre wilderness preserve where Trekkers will be surrounded by endless deserts and mountains from the four corner states while they learn new skills from our specialists by doing experiential projects in art, hiking, permaculture, mountain biking and ecology.
This trek is designed for kids with a sense of adventure and a willingness to try new things. It’s a great first experience with the Gulch for younger trekkers looking to explore independence and is appropriate for anyone from complete camping novices, to experienced young adventurers. Trekkers come away with new friends, new outdoor skills, and new self-confidence after meeting the physical demands of wilderness travel.
Is this trek right for me?
- Designed for kids with a sense of adventure and a willingness to try new things.
- Great for young Trekkers looking to explore independence.
- Designed for 10-12 year-olds who love spending time outside, or are willing to try camping for the first time.
This trip is appropriate for anyone from complete camping novices, to experienced young adventurers. A little homesickness can be expected within the first few days of Trek, but our professional staff are highly trained and well experienced in supporting young Trekkers. With a little encouragement and compassion, Trekkers come away with new friends, new outdoor skills, and new self-confidence after meeting the physical demands of wilderness travel.
- Rafting on the San Juan river
- Sunrise summit of Mount Taylor
- Caving in the lava tubes at El Malpais
- An overnight backpack in the Cibola National Forest
- Exploring the mushroom rocks of Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah
“Wait…I have to choose a high point? Just one?
Well, although I liked everything, I’ll name a few high points.