Let us help you…
Grow Your Own Expedition
Ready to put classroom learning into action?
Cottonwood Gulch classroom expeditions combine elements of self-discovery, group collaboration, personal responsibility as well as our pillars of arts and culture, science and nature, and wilderness immersion.
Here’s how to customize your expedition:
Using our Collaborative Design Principles we work side-by-side with teachers and administrators to craft the perfect expedition. Together we’ll meet the goals and objectives of each school and classroom.
Learn more about our funding for Classrooms.
Choose Your Outcome
The Connected Classroom
This initiative-based expedition builds and encourages leadership, bonding, and collaboration within your classroom.
The Engaged Steward
A community intensive expedition inspires civic engagement by exploring current issues facing the American Southwest.
The Peak Experience
A culminating expedition that creates a supportive opportunity for personal challenge while facilitating a forum for reflective growth.
The Inquisitive Mind
A place-based expedition asks the questions of “why” in a way that engages curiosity and critical thinking on a path to discovery.
Pillars of Exploration
Build out your trek with the elements that will engage the curiosity and adventurous spirit of your students. Our resident scientists, naturalists, geologists, and restorationists will help you build a robust science program. Our outdoor educators and adventure specialists will ensure your trek is thrilling and challenging. Work side-by-side with our school program developers to choose your ideal activities from these building block subjects:
At Base Camp…
Our Base Camp property is 560 acres of pinon, juniper, sandstone mesas, and whispering ponderosas. Our custom campus is largely non-electric and includes:
- Two Navajo hogans
- Natural science museum and laboratory
- A library
- Native Arts Workshop
- Field archaeology lab
- Cabins and composting latrines
- Mess Hall and industrial kitchen
- Several campfire rings
- Indoor and outdoor gathering spaces
- Swimming pool
- Open-air shower house
Read more on the Base Camp page.
On The Road…
Where we go is up to you, but each group is outfitted with:
- Commissary vehicle or truck to transport gear
- Road stove to cook campsite delicacies such as chili and spaghetti
- Scullery- personal dishes and silverware
- 2, 3 or 4 person tents (depending on teacher preference)
- Science Kit
- Art Kit
- Portable Toilet/Groover for campsites without a latrine
- Ample water to refill bottles and hand washing station
- Engaging and meaningful interactions with each location we visit
- Read more on our Road Loop page
- Collaborative itinerary development
- Coordination of permits and access to National Parks and Monuments
- Meals that accommodate every dietary need
- Quality outdoor gear
- Transportation to and from activities
- First aid and risk management expertise
- Experienced and knowledgeable expedition guides and educators