Adult & Family Experiences
Weekend Intensive Series
These inspirational weekend intensives will allow you to both unplug and rejuvenate while gaining unique insight and knowledge into the Science, Nature, Art and Culture of the American Southwest. These are held at our Base Camp in Thoreau, NM unless otherwise noted.
Fiber Arts Weekend
September 14-16, 2018 $299 (+ materials fee) Ages 16+
Treat yourself to an enriching weekend workshop and enter the enchanting world of weaving and fiber arts with local Navajo weavers. We will start the weekend attending the Crownpoint Navajo Rug Auction. You will learn basic wool cleaning, carding, thigh spinning, warping, traditional weaving techniques & patterns, taking off, and more. Participants will be able to take home a basic weaving kit with a small loom at the end of the weekend. Home-cooked, New Mexican-inspired meals and lodging in our rustic cabins is included in the price.
Women Writing and Riding
Sept 28-30, 2018 $299 (+ materials fee & bike rental if needed) Ages 21+
Spend a reflective weekend putting pen to paper and tire-tread to dirt in this woman-focused mountain bike/journaling workshop. This is a perfect opportunity to learn the basics of Mountain Bike Riding and quick maintenance alternating with opportunities for quiet reflection in the forest or riparian areas of our base camp. Find yourself within a community of supportive and adventurous women and discover a new passion or cultivate a forgotten pastime. Spend your evenings catching up on sleep or joining the campfire for hot tea, laughs and great stories. Home-cooked, New Mexican-inspired meals and lodging in our rustic cabins is included in the price.
En Plein Air
October 7-9, 2018 $250 (+ materials fee) Ages 16+
Weekend of Stewardship
October 12-14, 2018 $150 Ages 21+
Small Metals Workshop
Dates TBD - Call for Info $250 (+ materials fee) Ages 16+
Handbuilding Basics in Clay
Dates TBD - Call for info $250 (+ materials fee) Ages 16+
Geology of Western New Mexico Weekend
Dates TBD - call for info $250 Ages 21+
Dates TBD - call for info $375 (+ materials fee) Ages 21+
Adult Traveling Expeditions
August 10-18, 2018 $1250 Ages 21+
Autumn Equinox with New Mexico WILD
September 21-24, 2018 Ages 21+
Enjoy the Autumn Equinox in Chaco Canyon, and experience a dark sky park on their astronomy weekend. We will spend some time exploring the local Ah-Shi-Sle-Pah Wilderness Study Area as well as exploring the many niches of Chaco.
Spring Equinox with New Mexico WILD
Spring 2019 – dates TBD Ages 21+
Explore the reaches of New Mexico’s historical places, traveling between Aztec Ruins, Mesa Verde and beyond in the company of an esteemed Southwestern Archaeologist. Participants will become a member of New Mexico Wilderness Alliance and learn about the public land as we visit it.
Summer 2019 – dates TBD $1395 Ages 21+
Basics of Backpacking
August 30- September 3, 2018 $200 first adult; $75 first child ($100/$50 each thereafter) Ages 8+
Intro to Mountain Biking
Spring 2019 – dates TBD $200 first adult; $75 first child ($100/$50 each thereafter) Ages 8+
Excited to grab the kids and hit the trails, but a little tentative about the “how”? Join our seasoned instructors and learn to ride the beautiful desert and forest trails; open to all ages! You will learn basic bike fitting, skills in trail assessment, cornering, braking, climbing, shifting, descending, pressure control, roll downs, the ready position and basic navigation. An overview of basic field bike repair and considerations regarding injury and first aid will be discussed. We will ride trails appropriate to the participants and camp out together in the evening. A pre-planning meeting will be scheduled prior to the trip. Participants can bring their own bikes or we can assist with a rental option.
Spring 2019 – dates TBD
$200 first adult; $75 first child ($100/$50 each thereafter) All Ages
Summer 2019 – dates TBD $1250/adult $800/kid All Ages
What is your cancellation policy?
A nonrefundable deposit of 20% of the full tuition will hold your place in the group and is due with the initial application. The remaining balance is due two months prior to the beginning of the trek. If you sign up within 2 months, the full tuition is required in order to reserve a place.
If you need to cancel your enrollment, the 20% deposit is nonrefundable at any time. If you cancel prior to two months before the trek, the remaining 80% of your tuition is fully refundable. Within two months, no paid tuition is refundable. A full refund will only be made if an application is not accepted or if the expedition must be canceled. All adult and family treks have a minimum number of participants. If the minimum number of participants has not been met two months prior to the trek, we will cancel the trek and issue refunds. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause with travel plans.
What You’ll Explore
The Gulch experience embodies these core activities: